Choose to Lose Adult Weight Management service in Richmondshire
Response to Coronavirus (Covid-19)
Due to the developing and ever changing situation regarding the COVID-19 coronavirus, we have taken the following decision.
- With immediate effect there will be no face-to-face contact in the delivery of the service – this is as per the current guidance on social distancing, isolation and potential closure of community and leisure facilities. This will mean no face-to-face health assessments and no group weekly sessions. We will continue to carry out health assessments via telephone for those that wish to do so.
The situation and advice is changing daily and we will follow the latest advice. We will be exploring ways in which to provide remote platforms for our participants to continue to access the service in the interim period, this may be online or by telephone. We are keen to provide ways for our partners and participants to stay in touch and connect with the service during the challenges we are all facing.
The Choose to Lose programme will not be taking any new referrals from Thursday 19 March 2020 for the foreseeable future but you can continue to use the expression of interest form available here.
We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will be in touch with more guidance soon.
In the meantime, please refer to Coronavirus advice on the NHS website , Healthwatch North Yorkshire and the GOV.UK website.
You can access free health and fitness advice and tips to help keep you fit and healthy during this time:
- Sport England advice
- NHS advice
- Advice on keeping active during periods of self-isolation
Please feel free to contact us should you need to speak to us about the programme via email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01748 901049.
Choose to Lose is a new adult weight management service that is available from 2 March 2020. It is free to anyone who lives or works in Richmondshire, and are aged over 18 with a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 25 or above.
The service is funded by North Yorkshire County Council Public Health, and delivered by Richmondshire District Council and the Choose to Lose team.
If you are ready to commit to a 24 week programme and want to feel healthier, Choose to Lose could be the programme for you.
What happens each week?
- You attend weekly group sessions at a venue that is easy to get to – each session lasts for one hour and includes a healthy eating session and gently activity session
- There will be a weekly weigh-in to check your progress
- Ongoing support
If you meet the criteria outlined above you will be able to register your interest from 2 March 2020 via an expression of interest form. Alternatively email email@example.com or call 01748 901 049.
An advisor will then contact you to have an initial discussion about the programme and arrange a face to face health assessment. You will then be allocated a weight management advisor who will provide you with a start date for a weekly programme that suits you.
The NHS website provides further information about maintaining a healthy weight along with a BMI calculator to check your BMI.
Choose to Lose classes are about to start at:
- Wednesdays Colburn Leisure Centre 1pm - 2.30pm Anticipated to start 25th March
- Thursdays The Old School House, Leyburn 2.30pm - 4pm Anticipated to start 26th March
- Fridays Richmond Town Hall 11.30am -1pm Anticipated to start 27th March
- Saturdays The Bridge, Shute Road, Catterick 1pm -2.30pm Anticipated to start 28th March
Some services may only be suitable to a specific age range or to those who meet specific
criteria. The following eligibility criteria applies to this service:
- From GP
- From Health care services
- From Social care services
- From Other
- No restrictions apply